Natural fresh sugar-free jam is such a treat and best of all no cooking is needed. Simply process a few ingredients together, whisk a little and it’s ready to use. Perfect over toast or oatmeal, in desserts, over ice cream, in cakes……the list for using this delicious jam is endless around here.
I sometimes add a little fresh herb such as tarragon or sorrel for extra nutrient sunshine and flavor interest. Chia seeds are nature’s perfect thickener and the reason you don’t need to cook this delicious jam. The lemon juice I added here has two roles; adding a little lemon zing and behaving like a natural preservative. Feel free to experiment and create different flavors with this versatile recipe. Most any berry with work. I hope you enjoy the ease and joy of having fresh sugar-free and natural jam in your kitchen.
This recipe is dairy/oil/gluten-free and yields about one cup.
Natural Raspberry Lemon Preserves
If using substitutions, keep in mind that if you’re add more liquid than recommended the preservatives will probably need to be strained.
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or completely thawed frozen raspberries that have been drained of excess liquid
- 5 – 6 medium-sized soft dates, pits and stems removed
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 8-10 drops lemon essential oil (optional)
- 1 – 2 Tbsp honey or other sweetener to taste (optional)
- 1/8 tsp lemon-flavored stevia or stevia to taste (optional)
- Add all ingredients except the chia seeds to a food processor.
- Process until desired texture is achieved. I like mine with a little texture. You can also use a blender if you want.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl and whisk in the chia seeds.
- Cover and let stand for 15-30 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken.
- Whisk again to even out the mixture. Let stand for another 15-30 minutes, whisking again before using.
- Serve immediately or store refrigerated up to 5 days.
- Yields about 8 oz. preserves.